Sunday, September 04, 2005

Where's the sympathy for the other refugees?

I have been glued to my television for the last week. Like most Americans, I have been watching the tragic results of the flood in New Orleans, and like most, it has been heart-wrenching. It's terrible. No one should have to suffer like these poor people.

But one good thing comes out of this sort of tragedy. You get to see the good in people. Two former presidents are mounting an effort to raise money. Wall Mart gave trucks of water. thousands will be putting up people they don't know in their own homes. No doubt, soon there will be hundreds of millions of dollars raised. Some it it will be from me.

We have seen this amazing generosity before. We saw it when there was a huge Tsunami last year. We saw it with the families of survivors of 9/11.

It's heartwarming. It seems that now, in this late stage of history, all the world is sympathetic to all people who suffer unfairly.

Except Jews. I mean the refugees of Gush Katif of course, who have been unfairly thrown out of their homes.

But I might as well be referring to the Jews of France, who have also been terrorized. And the Jews of Russia for the last century.

Because no one give a crap about them either.

As no one ever has.

Now, I'm not complaining. I know it sounds like I am, but I'm not.

I don't expect the other powers of the world to come to our rescue. I don't even expect their pity. They've never given it before. Except when it's too late.

I don't even expect Jews to agree with my political opinions. I have to admit, it is kind of strange for people to side with their own enemies over their own relatives.

Very strange.

But the worst is the treatment they have suffered at the hands, and mouths of other Jews.

I read an editorial in the Jerusalem Post, where the commentator blamed the displaced Jews of Gush Katif for being homelesss.

Yes. You heard that right. It was their own fault, so the Jewish journalist said. They were to blame for having no place to live because they didn't go to some sort of meeting. Because they weren't ready to accept being thrown out of their own homes.

Circular logic, isn't it?

Even circular logic, I can forgive. But the cruelty, the insensitivity.

That's hard to stomach.

I'm sure that Jewish Journalist would never say the people of New Orleans deserve to be homeless. Or the people of Thailand deserve it.

Would he?

But somehow, after everything that's happened to Jewish people in the last century, it's fine for a Jew in Israel to be so awful to a fellow Jew.

And no one protested. It was just another article. Perfectly normal. No problem.

It's actually the biggest problem we have.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ze'ev said...

On the money. Well said. The world will never care about the Jews... if only we would care more about ourselves.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Serena said...

Well, some of us do care and have wept and prayed. If I was not poor myself, I would have gone to Israel and stood with the people of Gush Katif. They are a remarkable people, on the frontlines and they did a remarkable thing of turning desert into an orderly blooming community. We need more people like those from Gush Katif. I pray that G-d strengthens them in this dark time for them and that they will rise above this situation as they did by moving there in the first place.
Shalom,
Serena

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home